You're probably right. The main advantage of tap water would improved speed and a slight savings of money. However, it had occurred to me that various sliver salts might be more effective for deodorizing than the purer product.

Might not be, also.   I simply don't know.

I'm not afraid to experiment a bit, but it may be best for others to stick with the tried and tested distilled water method, given your well-stated concerns about assimilation of silver salts through the skin.

Thanks for the reply.

JBB