this conversation has left me with an idea, i have the kind of solar panel that you use to put up an electric fence, i no longer use it because the dogs run so fast that they are past the darn thing before they could get zapped, frustrating but true. Would this be a viable piece of equipment in making a still work? If so can some one give me directions on making the still? bear in mind that i am a stupid old woman and need very good directions. Jen ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan B. Britten" <jbrit...@cc.nakamura-u.ac.jp>
To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:54 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Batteries, Stills, Primitive Location ?

Hi,  Wayne,

I am not the paranoid survivalist type, but I can easily foresee some very hard situations a family could be caught in, having been through some very bad storms, earthquakes, and such. This awareness informs my thinking about what sort of kit I'd like to have.

I do have a non-electric distiller one can use over fire; I've never even tried it out, I just have it on hand. It seems well made, but I have something a bit more elegant in mind.

What I want might be hard to build, and I'm usually third-rate at making things (though good at fixing them.)

The ideal setup would use a very high-efficiency solar panel -- a durable one -- that could somehow run the entire process. It would provide enough current to heat a small quantity of water for distillation, to produce maybe a liter per day. The device would also supply the proper current-controlled voltage to run a setup something like Trem's best SilverGen (SG7), which I hope to get someday.

The goal would be to make, say, over the course of eight hours of sunshine, about a liter of good quality EIS. It should be a reliable, trouble-free, hands-off operation. The idea also would be to make and store ten or more liters in advance.

The solar oven designs of Dr. Steven Jones (a 9/11 Truth advocate by the way) might also be incorporated. Jones designed some really interesting things for people in Africa to use instead of firewood.

The idea would also be to have a tough, reliable product that could last for years and years without maintenance. It would be small enough to carry over the shoulder or in a backpack.

That's a tall order, but I think a clever and well-organized businessperson could make a decent income from it.

JBB

On Thursday, Sep 14, 2006, at 16:10 Asia/Tokyo, Wayne Fugitt wrote:

Morning Jonathan,

>>At 10:27 PM 9/13/2006, you wrote:

I'd be very interested to see a kind of survival still/generator setup, at modest price.

I have thought about this also. Not necessarily the still, but of course it is required, equally as important as the generator.

A good solar still could make large quantities of distilled water; a solar-powered generator could turn the water into EIS.

   What quantity do you have in mind as "Large Quantity"?

A few years ago, I had a friend in the business of building Solar Panels.
One of the engineers there turned down a trailer load of blemished solar panels. Most products that are blemished are still very good.

Once a battery manufacturer had a lot of blemished clear case batteries.
They were blemished because the clear cases were cleaned improperly.
They were not clear in places. Seems some kind of acid was used to clean them and this produced streaks and spots.

I was able to buy them for the price of scrap lead. I tested all that I purchased and every single one was the most uniform batteries I have ever seen. While they made batteries for other companies with other labels, these were being manufactured for their own label.

I sold one lot to a Fire Station, explaining the situation and giving them a full warranty. I never had a problem with a single battery.

Back to the solar panels, I did get a few free blemished panels.
One has been over in my field for a few years, still connected to a battery. Guess it would be interesting to see if it is still working. I was powering a long range photo beam which I had connected into a computer to data log deer movement. Interesting and fun for sure.

Are you saying this Survival Still / Generator will be in a remote location where no power is available? The still would have a sizable power requirement, unless the Solar Still principle was used.

I have a still I have never put into use that states it will deliver 3 gallons per hour. Current draw is 16 amps at 240 volts. It does need circulating water in the water jacket. It is 50 years old. Brass and Copper lasts a long time. I am sure I could find many heating elements that would work, in case that one does not. Since I got if free, I did not inspect it too closely.

A well made integrated device selling for under 500 bucks might find a solid market.
   Still curious how you will power it?   Commercial Power?
If so, that simplifies many problems.

  Wayne