Ode Coyote wrote:

>    Only the positive electrode emits ions.  The negative electrode produces
> hydroxyl anions and emits no metal at all.
>   I've even heard of setups that used a silver  + electrode centered in a
> stainless steel bowl.
>
>   Copper seems to have some catalytic effect till it becomes silver plated.

Copper is more reactive than silver, and thus will replace silver in
compounds.  Thus Silver oxide will become copper oxide, and silver hydroxide
will become copper hydroxide, and the silver will plate out on the copper.
Makes silver plating copper super easy, simply dip in a silver nitrate
solution.

Marshall