Kirsteen said,
>Nope - believe me I'm quite happy to take advice -
will keep looking for distilled water if it's
necesary.  BTW What happens if you just use filtered
or purified water. I'm curious to know what I would
end up with.<

I think it is important to renew the point - CS can be
made with ANY water and it will be effective. Many
people all over the world make CS with non-distilled
water - spring, tap, reverse osmosis, filtered, even
water from the Ganges River in India (which was
reported to be very effective against Malaria, and
nobody turned blue).

If you brew CS with water that has any *stuff* in it -
minerals, etc., it will not likely be clear, but will
be milky and hazy. This doesn't mean it is bad or
toxic, it just means the silver particles are joining
themselves to the other minerals in the water. Not a
worry. I never throw away CS, I drink it all. Twice I
forgot about the brew (before I bought a digital
timer) and ended up with 10 gallons of blackish,
coffee-colored CS. I drank it all anyway. I'm still
not blue!

Most water treatment methods don't remove ALL the
minerals from water. Steam distillation removes all
the minerals, but if it doesn't have a charcoal filter
there are modern chemicals that evaporate with the
water and can make it through. Reverse Osmosis is
capable of removing all the minerals, but is not
usually run at the level where it does (too expensive
and too much trouble). Deionization can also remove
all the minerals.

The term "distilled" can legally refer to water that
has been treated in almost any way whatsoever
(including filtering and even just boiling it). The
words "STEAM DISTILLED" is supposed to be used only
for steam distilled water.

My philosophy is: Use steam distilled water if I can.
If it is not available, I would use the next best
thing. I would freely drink cloudy, murky CS made from
tap water rather than not have CS.

There is virtually no evidence to support the
near-paranoia folks have about using non-distilled
water. I have drunk many, many gallons of yellow to
gold (or even brown) CS over the past 7 years. I am
not blue.

If you can't obtain genuine steam distilled water, use
what you can get and, if you're nervous, take a Vit E
capsule and a selenium tablet each day (or even a
couple times per week).

If yellow/gold/cloudy CS was even 1/10th as risky as
you get the idea it is from comments made on the
internet, there'd be thousands of blue folks all over
the place. (And remember, the faint possibility of
some blue gills is the only possible risk from
ingesting generous quantities of home-made CS.)

Let's keep level heads about this, it isn't dangerous
stuff we're making here. It's safe, easy, effective,
wonderful.

Terry Chamberlin

http://mail.yahoo.com