I've been storing my EIS in distilled water jugs for years now. The pete or pet soda/water bottles may be better but I have never found any with handles. Because of tendon and grip problems with my hands, I have to have a jug with a handle, so for me that over-rides any slight concern about the DW bottles not being as good. (And my concern is very slight--as these are the jugs the distilled water comes in after all).
I distill my own water and also used jugs from purchased DW for that.

I confess when I tried (and found I couldn't use)the big 2 liter soda bottles, I bought a couple of cheap generic sodas and simply dumped them out.
sol

M. G. Devour wrote:

 And for us who never drink soda-  can we use the bottles our water
 comes in?

Use the bottles that are the same crystal clear plastic that pop bottles are, but that are used to package spring water. The milky, translucent plastic that a lot of distilled water comes in, as well as milk, for that matter, is not as good.

At least so I've heard.