From: Harold MacDonald <har...@telus.net>
To: Silver Post <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2007 10:48:56 AM
Subject: CS>RE CS:>Almond milk

This is my favorite way to make A. milk.

1 Vitamix or other powerful kitchen blender (www.Vitamix.com)
1 cup of raw unsalted almonds
1 large bowl of water for soaking the almonds
3 cups of additional water (filtered or spring water)
1 pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of stevia extract powder (or other sweetener such as agave
nectar)
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (do not use artificial vanilla extract)
1 nut milk bag or large piece of cheesecloth (to strain the nut milk) - find
nut milk bags at www.RawGuru.com or your local health food store (they're
also sometimes called "sprout bags")

First, soak your raw almonds in a large bowl of water for at least 8 hours.
(Overnight works best).
After the almonds have soaked for 8 hours, pour out the water they soaked in
(you can pour it in your garden to recycle some of the nutrients), then
rinse and drain. Add the 1 cup of raw almonds to your Vitamix blender.
For ordinary eating them,I soak the almonds over night any way.

Take the 3 cups of cold water out of the refrigerator and pour into the
blender. Add the pinch of sea salt, the 1/2 teaspoon of stevia extract (or
other sweetener) and 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.

Blend on the highest speed for about one minute, or until the nuts are well
blended and the liquid has turned into a milk.

 Place an empty nut milk bag in a large stainless steel salad bowl, then
pour the liquid from the blender into the nut milk bag. Using one hand to
hold the bag closed at the top, use your other hand to squeeze and "knead"
the nut pulp in the nut milk bag, squeezing out all the milk.

You can prevent it spoiling in three ways:

Method #1: Add sea salt. This is my least favorite way, because it makes the
almond milk too salty. But it is effective and cheap.

Method #2 (my favorite): Add four drops of 35% food-grade H2O2, also known
as hydrogen peroxide. This prevents spoiling in a big way, allowing your
almond milk to last 3-4 days if refrigerated properly. You can read about
the health benefits of H2O2 at
http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

A recommended source for Food-Grade H2O2 is Centipede Industries at
www.CentipedeIndustries.com

Method #3: Boil the raw almond milk. This is obviously counterproductive,
since the whole point of making raw almond milk is to experience the health
benefits of drinking it raw. If you boil it, you'll destroy much of its
original nutrition. It does extend the shelf life of the beverage, however,
which is exactly why all the cow's milk you buy at the store is pasteurized.
If I had my way,all pasteurized milk would be banned.