I have never considered eating active yeast alone, did not know that a yeast
smoothie was made with active yeast, don't know about the anti-yeast yeast, and
I've always thought the nutritional yeast was not active (though Saccharomyces
cerevisiae). I only checked that recently at the following site which grows and
distributes the nutrional yeast I buy. They state that their nutritional yeast
is grown, pasturized and dried. They produce many yeast products from baking to
ethanol.

http://www.lsaf.com/index.asp?Division=NutritionalYeast&Section=FAQ

Duncan, you may be interested in the other constituents.....
"In addition to protein, dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals, it contains
additional functional and beneficial components such as beta-1,3 glucan,
trehalose, mannan and glutathione. Studies have show that these components have
potential health benefits such as, improved immune response, reduction of
cholesterol, and anti-cancer properties.
 Complex carbohydrates (beta-1, 3 glucan and mannan) found in Red Star®
nutritional yeast include dietary fibers that have been shown to have a
positive relationship to decreased serum cholesterol. Beta-1, 3 glucan
stimulates the body's immune system. Glutathione, an antioxidant, plays an
important role in cellular defense mechanisms. Red Star's nutritional yeast
contains approximately 2.5 mg. of glutathione per gram of yeast."

Maz

Duncan Crow <duncanc...@shaw.ca> wrote: Brewer's, baker's and anti-candida
yeast are practically
identical, and all are sold in live form for their respective
purpose.

Brewers yeast is bought fresh for brewing because it's not
contaminated like it eventully would become if brewers maintained
their own culture, like sourdough. Keeping ones own culture would
be undesireable in beer due to the contamination.

Perhaps nutritional yeast is killed sometimes, I don't know, but
this would be a relatively new development; traditionally, yeast
smoothies have been made with live brewer's yeast.

Duncan