On 2015-07-12 21:41, David Holland wrote:
Has Oracle changed its position with regards to patch availability for
the freely available downloads of Solaris x86?

Last I heard, patches were not available with out a support contract.

( Granted, HP is no better with its position towards VMS patches, but
at least (last I checked) VMS wasn't terribly attractive option for
the script kiddies. )

Unfortunately, as far as I know, if you want a free (as in beer)
patched Unix-alike, your choices are a Linux based distribution, or a
Linux based distribution. Which is unfortunate.

Here's hoping someone will set out to prove me wrong.   :-)

If you want to run on a VAX or Alpha, I don't think Linux even is an option. You'll have to go with some BSD. NetBSD and OpenBSD both have support, although if we talk VAXen, I think the support is slightly better in NetBSD.

        Johnny

David