On 2015-11-12 14:59, Eric Smith wrote:
Gee, Johnny .. don't be so negative.

:-)

Just kidding!

To be honest, I never though of emulated serial lines in simh being looked at as a terminal server. I don't think it's a correct way of looking at it, but I realize it is a reasonable way to think of it.

But seriously, this is all such a "blast from the past" .. I didn't
start as early as many of you guys, but I certainly remember building
many, many servers by getting the machine up far enough that it would
run a serial port, then going back to my desk, "telnet-ing" in through
an Annex or some other terminal server, and building the thing the
rest of the way .. installing the OS, configuring the network, adding
storage .. everything.

Yeah. I hardly ever did that myself, but it's a reasonable approach. However, in this case you actually had a terminal server in between which converted between the telnet datastream and an actual serial port.

I don't think what simh is doing is exactly comparable. But I don't really feel a need to argue about it either.
Now I know what you are talking about. Please continue.

        Johnny

Eric kd5uwl