> On Dec 10, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Quentin North <quen...@quentin.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>> On Dec 9, 2015, at 10:33 PM, Will Senn <will.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is is possible to simulate a graphics terminal in SimH for the
>>> PDP-11/40/45/70. So far, I have been able to get a text console working (I
>>> think it's a Teletype ASR-33) and serial consoles (DCI). I have seen some
>>> video of real PDP's playing lunar lander and such on graphics terminals,
>>> and if this is possible in a simulated environment, I would like to try it
>>> out.
>>

> A common graphics standard for serial terminals was Tektronix and an
> emulation of a tektronix terminal is available in xterm ...

That's a common one, yes.  But there were plenty of other formats as well, each
proprietary to a specific vendor.  Tek was just more successful in making their
particular codes into an industry standard.

There's another angle I didn't mention, not as likely for most of us: you might
have a terminal that uses a standard interface but an unexpected communication
protocol.  An example would be the Harris 2200 display advertising layout
terminal, which uses (I am *not* kidding) bisync in half duplex multipoint
mode, over an async serial line (such as a DL11-E) with modem control.  So you
could almost do that with SIMH (give or take the modem control) but you'd end
up having to implement both the data comm protocol as well as the graphics
primitives at the other end of that serial data stream.

        paul