On 6 Jan 2016, at 6:03 PM, <simh-requ...@trailing-edge.com>
<simh-requ...@trailing-edge.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 4:00 PM, <simh-requ...@trailing-edge.com>
> <simh-requ...@trailing-edge.com> wrote:
>
>>> 1. DECnet.  NFT will use the DAP protocol to do file transfer; if you have
>>> a compatible DAP implementation at the other end that would work.
>>> DECnet/Linux can do this, I believe.
>>>
>> If you can find it DEC PATHWORKS apparently still works on Windows XP,
>> of course you'll need to fire up a VM for it in most cases; and
>> DECnet/Linux has basically become unsupported.
>

> Don't dismiss DECnet/Linux as a viable solution.  It's true the DECnet/Linux
> community is small and the main players of long ago are gone.  But, that
> doesn't mean it does not work.
>
> I have been a long time user of DECnet/Linux, mainly on CentOS.  We use it
> for backups over DECnet mostly, and file exchange.  Stand-alone backups work
> just fine.  When the disks on my last CentOS version went belly up, I decided
> instead of a dedicated DECnet NAS, it was a better idea to use our NFS disk
> farms for storage.  I built a couple DECnet/DAP-to-NFS gateways using a
> Marvell SheevaPlug "PlugPC" with a Kirkwood ARM SoC (no FPU).  I am at home
> at the moment, so I cannot tell you what Linux kernel I used.

[root@sheeva ~]# uname -a
Linux sheeva 3.16.6-decnet-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Thu Oct 16 20:21:16 PDT 2014
armv5tel GNU/Linux

My notes at the time I built the DECnet/DAP-to-NFS gateway say:

The latest Linux longterm 3.16 kernel is 3.16.6 (https://www.kernel.org).  The
last Arch Linux ARM Kirkwood-specific Linux 3.16 kernel was for 3.16.6 on
October 16, 2014,
https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/commit/8be533de52d44d39b2b12999e979d4d377f5e2e5.

I had to patch the kernel config file to add DECNEt support and the decnet
driver file dn_route.c to call dst_metric_raw() instead of dst_metric().

> I haven't checked on them in a long time.  As far as I know, they are working
> just fine.  One is used every day to export files from a VAX/VMS 5.5-2 data
> acquisition system to an iMac file server.  That VAX has been running that
> lab for over 20 years, I think—maybe 30.  We used to run Pathworks/Mac on the
> VAX until Apple removed support for their own network file protocol and
> forced us to come up with an alternative.  We run DECnet Phase IV, not Phase
> V, so we can't do DECnet remote file access over TCP/IP.  I've built other
> SoC appliances using PlugPCs, such as Ionics Nimbus. My last few projects
> using SoCs have used BeagleBone Blacks.  Their processors have FPUs, which
> makes them more useful.  As I recall, Raspberry Pis either did not have an
> FPU, or priced out more expensive than the BeagleBone Black when I last
> looked at them.  I set them up to be self-hosting for development.
> Cross-development is a royal pain.
>
> Other discussions here have mentioned using ANSI-labeled tapes.  It is true
> they can be simple.  But, not if you start dealing with records instead of
> blocks.  I briefly looked at the ansitpc tool mentioned earlier in this
> thread at https://github.com/khandy21yo/emutools.  It writes blocks, not
> records.  It also does not properly write the ANSI labels.  Maybe that is
> what is upsetting VMS.  I assume VMS figures it out; if not, you definitely
> want to mount the tape /NOHDR3 on VMS.  The ANSI tape format is an ANSI
> standard.  I'll grab my copy at work tomorrow and send the number.  I assume
> the VMS documentation also cites the ANSI standard they implement.

I have two copies of the ANSI X3.27 standard: -1978 (version 3) and -1987
(version 4); -1969 was version 1, which I do not have.  The version number is
written as the last (80th) character of the VOL1 (the first) label on the tape.
 I'll bet most DEC systems implemented version 3.

> I just stumbled upon a Unix utility that writes ANSI tapes at
> http://www.math.utah.edu/cgi-bin/man2html.cgi?/usr/local/man/man1/ansitape.1.
>  It might be easy to modify it to write TPC format volumes instead of
> starting from scratch.
>
> Larry Baker
> US Geological Survey
> 650-329-5608