Thanks Johnny,

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017, Johnny Billquist wrote:

First of all, the HECnet mailing list is restricted to subscribed members only, so you can't post there until you've subscribed.
<snip>

There are 10,189 messages in my HECnet folder, starting on 09/11/2007 and
most recent are your TCP/IP updates on April 30 and September 3rd.  There
is a big gap in my list from 2013 until your announcements, maybe I got
lost in the list along the way.

Sorry about the loss.
There are a guest account on both MIM:: and MAGICA::
MIM:: is an emulated PDP-11/74, while MAGICA:: is a real PDP-11/70. Both are running RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6, and the guest account have name GUEST and password GUEST. They drop you into DCL, so it shouldn't be too hard. They are also accessible from the internet as Mim.Update.UU.SE and Magica.Update.UU.SE, with telnet access.

One difference that might be relevant is that in RSX, when you connect you are not automatically thrown the login prompt. You are at a command prompt in logged out mode, where you can both get help, as well as log in.

3.  Does anyone have a current HECnet map, so that said students could
.   see how HECnet is set up and navigate a couple of different machines?

As far as I know, there is no current map. There have been a couple of attempts in the past, but it was a while since I last saw any, and they have never been very complete. The best "picture" is by going to http://mim.update.uu.se/nodedb, which is served from MIM (obviously) using Datatrieve, and the source of the nodename database, with some additional information. However, one have to be away that many machines in the last is not online most of the time.

To explore a bit more, one can play with NCP and find out which areas are online, and at least some subset of which machines are online. But it becomes a question of knowing how to use NCP, how DECnet works, and some patience.

        Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books