On 2018-12-16 10:43 AM, Harold Bell wrote:
Thanks for the answers, I need to change gears on what I am trying to do.  Is
there a focal that has the source code available so I can use simh and os8 to
compile it and create my own paper tape?  I am trying to write my own pdp8
emulator in java and it runs eratically if at all.  Debugging it has proven
challenging.  It might be better to start with a simple program like blackjack
but I can't find source or paper tape for it either.

Regards

Buddy Bell

Have you tried running the PDP-8 diagnostics? They are all available here:  https://www.ak6dn.com/PDP-8/MAINDEC/ with .bin/.rim images, listings/manuals, and a simh .ini file to run them.

Debugging a PDP-8 design using high level focal programs is going to be a needlessly complicated exercise. You need to get your design to run the basic CPU diagnostics first, and then you can go on to applications like FOCAL, etc.

Don