On 2019-05-10 01:46, Paul Koning wrote:

On May 9, 2019, at 3:20 PM, Hittner, David T [US] (MS) <david.hitt...@ngc.com>
wrote:

(It's been a long time since I've played with SMAC on wireless. I did get it to
work, but it wasn't worth the pain to me, so I upgraded to DECNET/OSI
non-compatibility mode.)

IIRC, when you start DECNET IV, it sends a broadcast packet to see if there is
an address collision with the hard-coded DECNET IV address before it changes
the MAC to the DECNET IV MAC.

That's not in any DECnet standard.  It may be someone did that, and it wouldn't
be a bad idea to do so.

BTW, some NICs allow enabling multiple individual addresses and choosing which one you
want.  DEC made that standard fairly early on, once it became clear that combining LAT
and DECnet on a single interface was a pain.  DEUNA doesn't do this, DEQNA does, and all
the DEC single-chip Ethernet interfaces support it.  On such interfaces you'd use the
aa-04 address for DECnet and the "hardware address" for other things.

Hum? My understanding is that the DEUNA and DELUA works exactly the same in this aspect. And combining DECnet and LAT is not a problem on of those interfaces, so now I'm curious what you are thinking of?

Also, at least under RSX, all software is definitely using the same MAC address for any and all network protocols you might be running, which includes DECnet, LAT, MOP, IP, ARP, and anything else you might want to throw at it.

SIMH can do this just fine given that the Ethernet libraries it uses can do it.

simh can certainly do it, since it don't actually do much at all. It just puts the actual interface in promiscuous mode, and filters packets on its own, not using the hardware at all.

  Johnny

email: b...@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books