On 6/26/2019 9:54 PM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
SALV actually writes data for an entire track all in one go.  I tried
something which skips the headers in the middie.  But there must be
something else wrong with my code, because when reading back the sector
data I just get zeroes.

Anway, I agree something like that would go most of the way to make SALV
happy.  There's another part of SALV that reads the header information
go access the pack number written there, but I'm not sure how that
number is used later.

I think that should work. When executing the "write header plus data"
command, the state machine in my FPGA's RP06 controller just handles the
first two 36-bit words (technically four 16-bit words) specially and
jumps to the "write data only" states to transfer the non-header data.
Ditto read and write check commands.

This part of the FPGA passes all of the RP06 diagnostics - so I believe
it is correct.

From a hardware point of view, sector header "Word 3" and "Word 4" have
no particular meaning.  Just for completeness, can you point me to a
reference where "pack number" is defined or used by the software?

Rob Doyle