The PLA scheme (another invention from the fertile mind of Bill Roberts, architect of the LSI11 and UDA50 proto and founder of Emulex) was basically a microcode and gate conservation scheme. It provided enormous compression for the decode phase of the PDP11 and then got exploited to a fare-thee-well by clever microcoders like Burt Hashizume (F11) and Keith Henry (J11).

Sometime during the 80s, when it became clear that the process problems with the J11 were intractable, and it could not be shrunk for higher performance, I outlined a design for a single chip PDP11. Because ROM densities and transistor counts were so much higher by then, I felt it could all be done in ROM, using the usual "indirection pointers" like Rs and Rd for source and destination registers and a fairly simple initial decoding scheme to break out the interesting cases. I didn't save anything about it in my online archive, so I don't know what happened to the design notes. The idea didn't go anywhere, of course; the PDP11 was clearly on its last legs by then.

/Bob