The PSW mode bits (in particular, previous mode) are operative for choosing which stack pointer is used if the operand specification is R6. So MTPI SP will store the operand popped from the stack in the stack pointer selected by PSW<prev_mode>. The address calculation on the stack is purely physical, ie, 16 bits.

If the MMU is not enabled, programs can only see memory addresses 000000 - 157777 and the IO page. DMA devices can see (on the Unibus or the original Qbus) 18 bits of memory addresses or (on the Q22 bus or a Unibus system with an IO map) 22 bits of memory addresses.

/Bob Supnik

On 9/21/2019 8:24 PM, simh-requ...@trailing-edge.com wrote:
Message: 2
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 19:49:39 -0400
From: "dave porter"<dave_list_a...@verizon.net>
To:<simh@trailing-edge.com>
Subject: [Simh] PDP-11 -- MFPI, etc, with memory mgmt off

I hope you'll excuse a non-SIMH question on this list.

Over in the retrocomputing forum on Stack Exchange,
I'm involved in a conversation that says that the
11/73 move to/from previous-mode space instructions
MTPI, MTPD, MFPI, MFPD, will, when the MMU is
not enabled, use the previous-mode bits from the
PS directly as bits 16,17 of the physical address.

I've never heard of such a thing and I cannot find
anything written that really says what these
instructions do when running unmapped.

Anyone know about this?  (Mr. Supnik?)

If I shouldn't have asked this non-SIMH question
on this list, just say so and I won't do it again.
Thanks.