On 2012-07-07 21:51 , David Karger wrote:

> On 7/7/2012 2:04 AM, Ryan Lee wrote:

>>> I'm afraid this is access-restricted
>>> Since we're working on at least 3 tools that combine exhibit with
>>> something else, I agree.   So far it hasn't been a problem because all
>>> the tools we've used have made the same assumption that $=jQuery.
>>> Jed, which particular tool have are you using that does not make this
>>> assumption?
>> jQuery is not unique in deploying that shorthand, for instance $ could =
>> Prototype.

>>> Since we have already separate the creation of a "distribution" of
>>> exhibit from the underlying codebase, we could in theory do the same for
>>> the uncompressed version of exhibit, for example using using the closure
>>> of $ you mention by programmatically wrapping every js file in
>>> function($) {
>>> the file
>>> }(Exhibit.jQuery);
>>> as we copy it to dist.
>> On further consideration, I'm not a great fan of using the closure
>> method.  This makes debugging tricky; similar to how I wouldn't want to
>> debug the compressed code bundle, I don't think I'd want the extra
>> effort involved in debugging source subtly modified from the original.
> I don't think the two points are comparable; debugging the compressed
> code is a clear nightmare of meaningless names; wrapping our code in a
> closure that define $ would have no impact on any definitions in our
> code (or on the code we see) while we debug exhibit; it would just
> protect our code from having its definitions changed when combined with
> other code.

Can you explain why it's at all important to you to preserve a developer
shorthand?  I'm hearing a straw man made out of my comparison (which
made no mention of degree of similarity), and that without even
explaining why it's so important to you to preserve the current status
quo or what's so odious to you about doing the simple thing and just
using jQuery.

What you proposed is an unstable hack.  Do you test the pre- or post-
wrapped code?  Which line is the bug on - should I subtract two from
each report or ask each reporter to subtract two?  It's not a huge deal,
to be sure, but that's what additional overhead you propose calls into
existence.  More importantly, does Exhibit work perfectly with
file-limited scopes?  It might not.  Should every file get wrapped?  It
might not even need it.  Will it work as expected when everything is
concatenated and compressed?  Either someone does the footwork to verify
it all works out (and they might as well go ahead and modify every file
instead of converting it every time) or I can do the extremely simple
and very easy change from $ to jQuery.

You can try to convince me this is at all important or worth discussing
further, but by then I'll already have a changeset lined up to make the
switch - because in far less time than this topic has inflated to
inexplicably occupy, I'll have implemented the simple solution that Jed
already kindly offered.