A number of years ago I switched from exhibit 2 to v3. All had been working
OK for some time but after the recent set of emails I went to check my map
at http://www.hayriverti.org/local-directory-map The map displays but is
marked "This page can't load Google Maps correctly."
It appears that maps need an API key once again. I went through the steps
at  Google Cloud Platform Console to create a key and added it to my code.
No change in the map display.

loadJS("
http://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/3.1.1/extensions/map/map-extension.js?gmapKey=AIzaSyBl3pTlyHYBW9TGNbsgt9bRqkA8zwHrJYY
");

There are multiple problems in the JavaScript console so I checked out
https://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/3.1.1/extensions/map/map-extension.js
>From that file

*  service [google|google2]: which mapping service to draw upon,
 *       defaults to google (v3)
 *  gmapKey: only necessary when using google2 service

I then added the service parameter as google2
loadJS("
http://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/3.1.1/extensions/map/map-extension.js?gmapKey=AIzaSyBl3pTlyHYBW9TGNbsgt9bRqkA8zwHrJYY&service=google2
");

This didn't load the map at all.
The code in
https://api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/3.1.1/extensions/map/map-extension.js
doesn't
pass the gmapKey when using google V3 and doesn't work with version 2

if (Exhibit.MapExtension.params.service === "google2" &&
                   typeof GMap2 === "undefined") {
            if (typeof Exhibit.params.gmapKey !== "undefined") {
                    scriptURLs.push(proto +
"//maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&sensor=false&callback=Exhibit.MapExtension.gmapCallback&async=2&key="
+ Exhibit.params.gmapKey);
            } else if (typeof Exhibit.MapExtension.params.gmapKey !==
"undefined") {
                    scriptURLs.push(proto +
"//maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&sensor=false&callback=Exhibit.MapExtension.gmapCallback&async=2&key="
+ Exhibit.MapExtension.params.gmapKey);
            } else {
                    scriptURLs.push(proto +
"//maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&sensor=false&callback=Exhibit.MapExtension.gmapCallback&async=2");
            }
            if (!Exhibit.MapExtension.params.bundle) {
                javascriptFiles.push("google-maps-v2-view.js");
            }

1. Is exhibit/3.1.1 being maintained?
2. Is there a newer version?
3. Can the code be changed to pass the API map code for google maps v3?
4. This map is not accessed very often. Is it time to remove it from my
site?

George Adams