On Apr 16, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Risto Vaarandi wrote:

Michael Hale wrote:
Hello,
I was wondering if there was a way to alarm if a certain output is NOT seen after a certain amount of time. For example, I have a logfile which lists transaction processing - I want to alarm when nothing is written to that file for a certain amount of time, or alternately, when either the string "STATUS = 1" or "STATUS=0" hasn't appeared for a certain amount of time.

hi Michael,
yes, the task you have described can be done quite easily. There is a related example in the man page (see http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net/sec.pl.html#lbBA) , but it can be modified for your purpose:

type=Calendar
time=* * * * *
desc=WAITING FOR STATUS
action=event %s

Thanks, Risto - that worked quite well.

One thing I noticed, using this method to try to detect when an input isn't seen for a while, it seems since we're using the Calendar module that the granularity is limited to a 60 second window. Is there a way to determine if we've not seen an input in a shorter windows, say 2 seconds ?

--
Michael Hale <mh...@transcomus.com >
Manager of Engineering Support                          Enterprise Engineering