From: Risto Vaarandi [mailto:rvaara...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:23 PM
To: simple-evcorr-users@lists.sourceforge.net; Mills, Rocky
Subject: Re: [Simple-evcorr-users] Logpp and SEC input sources

> From: Mills, Rocky <rx4...@att.com>
> Subject: [Simple-evcorr-users] Logpp and SEC input sources
> To: simple-evcorr-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 2:23 AM
> Risto, Anyone,
>
> I was considering counting various string matches using SEC
> across
> numerous (over potentially 20) logs simultaneously.
> There should be few
> string matches, but when combined at peak times there could
> be perhaps
> several thousand extraneous lines to parse per
> second.  SEC may be able
> to handle it but I recall you noting another utility
> "logpp".  I
> reviewed its man page and it seems to be a good fit to more
> efficiently
> trim the logs before evaluating them with SEC.
>
> >From the logpp output I need to know its input
> source.  I haven't tried
> it but I'm thinking there is no glob-like loading of a
> dynamic list of
> log files via logpp config like this:
>
> input app-log-input {
>   file /app/log/*.log
> }
>
> So I'm thinking I could build the input part of my logpp
> config file
> dynamically (before logpp startup) and then load it with
> each file
> explicitly specified like this:
>
> input app-logs-input {
>   file /app/log/A.log
>      file /app/log/B.log
>   and so on...
> }
>
> My filter's template could then prefix each log line with
> the filename
> like this:
>
> filter app-logs-filter {
>   regexp something X
>   regexp another thing Y
>   template filename $~: $0
> }
>
> Where $~ is the filename and $0 is the log's line of text.
>
> I could then use SEC to extract the filename from each line
> and setup my
> counts and such using it.
>
> Any other solution you'd recommend?

how are these log files created? If they are created by syslogd/syslog-ng, then
maybe you could set up a single file instead of many, and process this file
with logpp.

> Another logpp question (with a similar need for SEC to
> determine the
> input sources):
>
> Any preferred/simple way to setup logpp to read multiple
> ssh inputs?
> For example, could I configure input from "ssh m...@serverx
> tail -f
> /app/log/X.log" and "ssh m...@servery tail -f /app/log/X.log"
> to be read
> by logpp? Actually I have potentially 12 separate hosts
> with ssh inputs
> I'd like to gather into a single event stream to feed SEC
> such that SEC
> can also extract the input source (hostname in this
> case).  This is not
> a high volume scenario.  Just curious if logpp could
> easily consolidate
> distributed logs that could be monitored from a central
> location.

Have you thought about another scenario -- logpp can also convert non-syslog
logs into syslog format, and you could have logpp running on 12 hosts for
sending input events to central host with syslog protocol. If you need to
encrypt the data exchange, then you could use ssh/stunnel for that. It might be
somewhat more complex to implement, but the events will be converted to syslog
format early on and you have the flexibility that comes with syslog-style
logging.

br,
risto

*****

it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA622