[ Long read below.  I don't mean to hijack Hari's thread.  Please reply with
"Subject:  SEC DB" or something similar if you are replying to this thread.]

Hi Hari,

I'm having this exact problem, though only with a couple of hundred SEC rules,
not thousands.

I'm even convinced that the problem extends earlier than matching.  How do I
know
whether a new rule I'm about to implement isn't already matching some other
rule?
It's possible I'm duplicating earlier effort without realizing it, or perhaps
the rule
matches in a way I didn't intend when I wrote the regex.

I'd be interested to hear from others about a possible solution for a SEC
rules database generator.  Something along the lines of:

  - DB contains rules and meta data (device type, security category, etc.)
  - DB provides a mechanism to search for a regex match
  - DB provides the ability to automatically generate  SEC rules file(s)
  - DB provides an action meta tag that can be used to identify the match

Has anyone done any work in this area?  I started a simple SQLite schema about
a month ago, but had to abandon it due to time pressures.  My intention was to
load all my rules and create some simple SQL scripts to generate a SEC rules
file.

Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions are welcome...

Jim B.

Apologies to Hari!