Risto, et al,

Advantages of input field within rule sets:

1. reduce or eliminate command line option inputs
        Allowing input sources to be specified within rule sets
2. introduce events at specific points into rule sets
        Without needing to setup sometimes complicated dependencies
      Various contexts, jumps and goto's.
      Perhaps this would simplify some rule sets
      And be more directly defined instead of indirect contexts
3. allows for a "service" defined "endpoint"
        Provides yet another mechanism to introduce and control
        the flow of events (where a rule's context would determine
      whether or not to even read from the input --
      i.e. programmatic input control)
4. eliminates extraneous perl code to extract "input" file/source name
5. one could change the rule to point to another input
        And then reload rule sets per SEC signals
      could open new input after closing old input.
        This could be useful for several reasons including
        changing input streams, input-rule "versioning", introducing
      new inputs and new rules without losing rule states, etc.

Since I have no immediate needs (since SEC currently supports current
input needs very well), I have not really thought through this and there
may be other advantages not noted.  It's simply been on my mind to
discuss with you and others.

Regards,
Rock