This sounds like it's a problem with the startup scripts that you are using (from your distro), SEC itself has no limit on the number of copies that can run (as long as they use different resources)

David Lang

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Michael Kantowski wrote:

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:01:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Kantowski <mjkantow...@yahoo.com>
To: sec <simple-evcorr-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Simple-evcorr-users] Multiple instances of SEC

Hello,

I really like SEC.

I was able to set up two instances of SEC, but when trying to add a third, it
doesn't seem to work.  Here is what it looks like when I start the sec service:

----
[root@alf sec]# service sec start
Starting sec instance 1: SEC (Simple Event Correlator) 2.6.1
Changing working directory to /
Reading configuration from /etc/sec/firewall/firewall.sec
2 rules loaded from /etc/sec/firewall/firewall.sec
Opening input file /data/syslog/firewall/firewall-amer.log
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting sec instance 2: SEC (Simple Event Correlator) 2.6.1
Changing working directory to /
Reading configuration from /etc/sec/layer3.sec
11 rules loaded from /etc/sec/layer3.sec
Reading configuration from /etc/sec/netscreen.sec
4 rules loaded from /etc/sec/netscreen.sec
Reading configuration from /etc/sec/spantree.sec
1 rules loaded from /etc/sec/spantree.sec
Opening input file /home/syslog/network/network-amer.log
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting sec instance 3:
[root@alf sec]#

-----

I've gone over all of the configuration items and I see no reason why instance
3 would not start up.  In fact, if I disable one of the two instances, then the
instance that was failing to start has no problem starting.  So I am only able
to get two instances running at once.

thanks,

Mike

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-dev2