this might be obvious, but since we are being
thorough, need to define (for the  "nearest" option)
what happens when the data falls exactly midway
between the breakpoints, as there are several
possibilities. I believe the IEEE standard for
rounding floating numbers is to round to even (lowest
bit zero), but it's hard to see how we make that
useful here. But it is best to avoid a scheme that
introduces a bias, like "always round up in a tie". On
the other hand it may not make a significant
difference, but at least should be defined.

Randy