Am 28.02.2014 07:19, schrieb ThomasK:
> And on the other hand: I (but "I" isn't "simulavr" would think about to
> use this feature for processor clock and processor type, not for the
> serialio part! The last isn't very flexible and, for example for the
> serial input part,the filename is then hold inside elf file! If you want
> to change this you have to recompile and link the target file! And there
> is no time control, when a byte is sent into controller, all will send
> without gap!

Handling I/O this way is in the best tradition of the Unix concept where
you use additional files, pipes and tools for controlling what gets
written to a program and when. And what's the difference between
hardcoding a file name into the ELF binary vs. hardcoding it in a Phyton
script? That said, you can hardcode I/O to stdin/stdout, of course, and
connect pipes or redirections to one or both of them. Right from the
command line.

> Not a realistic scenery.

D'oh. It works already. You can use the same host software for driving
simulator and real hardware. You even have the same data loss issues as
with real hardware, which I consider to be a good thing.

> And there is one thing in Markus
> implementation, which (in my opinion) isn't good, there is a header
> file, which is used for build simulavr AND for a AVR target file!

That's actually intentional. Splitting this up would be trivial, but
also making things more complicated like in requiring a header for every
AVR project. And if you have two files in different projects (SimulAVR
and target), these two can become incompatible, of course.

SIMINFO doesn't mean to replace scripting. TCL and Python stuff works
just as before. Experts, please continue with your favourite flavour of
scripting.

It means to make simple simulation cases more simple for those those
hobbyists who don't do simulations 40 hours a week, 200 days a year.
Looking at the bug reports, quite a number of people have tried already,
probably because "type this command line, then use the tools you're used
to" is a concept they understand.

Seeing the somewhat tricky nature of embedding metadata inside ELF I
thought about other ways to achieve this goal. The result of this
investigation was to extend the configuration file used for signal
tracing. With a dead simple syntax, of course. As the ELF issues appear
now to be solvable universally, I no longer think this is needed.

Markus