Title: Message

‘Liberating Iraq' with Nuclear Weapons

We are at a dangerous crossroads: in the weeks leading up to a planned invasion of Iraq, President Bush has threatened to use nuclear weapons, while at the same time reassuring the Iraqi people in his State of the Union Address that the day Saddam Hussein is "removed from power will be the day of your liberation."

 Washington, London and Tel Aviv are working hand-in-glove on the nuclear option, which involves not only the deployment of America's ‘mini-nukes' but also of conventional nuclear warheads against Iraq, such as Britain's ‘Trident' and Israel's ‘City-buster':

"President George W Bush has already warned the Iraqi dictator that if he uses either chemical or biological weapons against allied troops, the response would be nuclear." In the words of a White House spokesman: "the US will use whatever means necessary to protect us and the world from a holocaust." (Quoted on NBC 26 Jan. 2003).

Tony Blair's position on nukes is consistent with that of George W. In the words of his Defense Secretary Geoff Hoon: "They [Iraq] can be absolutely confident that in the right conditions we would be willing to use our [Trident] nuclear weapons."

To Read Complete text of Editorial click here (pdf format)