Title: Message
Galloway seeks inquiry after papers exposed as fakes

Kevin Maguire
Saturday June 21, 2003
The Guardian

George Galloway yesterday demanded a government inquiry after documents alleging that he took more than $10m (£6.3m) from Saddam Hussein were exposed as forgeries.

The suspended Labour MP claimed he was the victim of a conspiracy and rejected an apology from the Christian Science Monitor, threatening to extend his legal action to British newspapers, including the Sun, which repeated the Boston-based title's accusations.

Mr Galloway, who is expected to issue a writ next week against the Daily Telegraph over further allegations - based on separate Baghdad documents - that he received £375,000 a year from UN oil-for-food deals, said he had been smeared because of his opposition to the invasion of Iraq. "I want to know who forged these documents. I am calling on the prime minister, as head of the co-occupying power in Iraq, to investigate how this conspiracy came about," the prominent anti-war campaigner said.

Paul Van Slambrouck, editor of the internationally circulated Monitor, published an apology on its website after ink tests found two of the "oldest" documents, dated 1992 and 1993, on which the paper based its incendiary allegations in April were in fact written a few months ago.

"At the time we published these documents, we felt they were newsworthy and appeared credible, although we did explicitly state in our article that we could not guarantee their authenticity," he said.

"It is important to set the record straight. We are convinced the documents are bogus. We apologise to Mr Galloway and to our readers."

The Monitor said the documents were supposedly recovered by a Republican Guard general from the house of Qusay Saddam Hussein, one of Saddam's two sons, authorising six payments to Mr Galloway totalling more than $10m for - according to one of the documents - his "courageous and daring stands against the enemies of Iraq, like Blair."

General Salah Abdel Rasool was later unmasked by the Mail on Sunday after he tried to sell the newspaper a third set of documents purportedly showing Mr Galloway was paid $4m between 1999 and 2002. The documents were found to be fake.

The Daily Telegraph turned down the documents used by the Monitor. The paper did publish its own allegations about Mr Galloway several days earlier, based on files retrieved from Baghdad's bombed-out foreign ministry by staff reporter David Blair.

According to well-placed sources on the Telegraph, Blair, who visited Baghdad last spring on a trip organised by Mr Galloway, had been asked by the newspaper to look for documents on contacts between Saddam and anti-war governments such as France and Germany rather than the MP.

A letter in one of the files written by Mr Galloway, nominating Jordanian businessman Fawaz Zureikat as his representative in Baghdad, is acknowledged as genuine. But the MP insists that others, alleging he received more than £375,000 a year and at one point asked for it to be increased, are forged or faked.

If the case reaches court, the Telegraph is expected to mount a qualified privilege defence, arguing that it does not need to prove he received the money but had a responsibility to publish the serious allegations, and that it gave Mr Galloway an opportunity to put his side of the story.

The Telegraph's editor, Charles Moore, yesterday said: "Our story was based on a different set of documents found in a different set of circumstances.

"There is a game of bluff going on here with him [Mr Galloway] but we have to work on the assumption that he will eventually sue, and no one likes the trouble of a court case - but we are very confident," said Mr Moore.

Mr Galloway's lawyer said the writ would be issued next week or, at the very latest, the week after.

The MP said: "The Telegraph documents are equally fake and I believe they will meet the same fate as the Monitor ones."

Mr Galloway is fighting to stay in the Labour party after being suspended following a television interview in which he branded Tony Blair and President George Bush "wolves" over the invasion.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2003
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4696054,00.html