Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time for that detailed response.

I'll respond to your views on AKC once I've had a read through
your book chapter.

In the mean time:
Some of the technical discussion in this forum is tough for me to follow,
but it seems to me that this is where most of the discussion in this thread
has been.  The answer to that question is simple, unfriendly people
intentions transferred to a machine = unfriendly machines.

Obviously, when unfriendly people transfer their intentions to a
machine, the most likely result is an unfriendly machine. I think that
what alot of the discussion on Friendly AI is trying to get at is:
even if the person designing the machine's intention is super
friendly, the most benevolent and selfless it is for a human to be,
there is no guarantee that a *self-modifying* machine will continue to
maintain and reflect those benevolent aspects.

-J