Joshua Fox wrote:
Any comments on this: http://news.com.com/2100-11395_3-6160372.html

Google has been mentioned in the context of AGI, simply because they have money, parallel processing power, excellent people, an orientation towards technological innovation, and important narrow AI successes and research goals. Do Page's words mean that Google is seriously working towards AGI? If so, does anyone know the people involved? Do they have a chance and do they understand the need for Friendliness?

This topic has come up intermittently over the last few years...

Google can't be counted out, since they have a lot of $$ and machines and a lot of smart people.

However, no one has ever pointed out to me a single Google hire with a demonstrated history of serious thinking about AGI -- as opposed to statistical language processing, machine learning, etc. That doesn't mean they couldn't have some smart staff who shifted research interest to AGI after moving to Google, but it doesn't seem tremendously likely.

Please remember that the reward structure for technical staff within Google is as follows: Big bonuses and copious approval go to those who do cool stuff that actually gets incorporated in Google's customer offerings.... I don't have the impression they are funding a lot of blue-sky AGI research outside the scope of text search, ad placement, and other things related to their biz model.

So, my opinion remains that: Google staff described as working on "AI" are almost surely working on clever variants of highly scalable statistical language processing. So, if you believe that this kind of work is likely to lead to powerful AGI, then yeah, you should attach a fairly high probability to the outcome that Google will create AGI. Personally I think it's very unlikely (though not impossible) that AGI is going to emerge via this route.

Evidence arguing against this opinion is welcomed ;-)

-- Ben G

Also: Vinge's notes on his Long Now Talk, "What If the Singularity Does NOT Happen" are at http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vinge/longnow/index.htm <http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/vinge/longnow/index.htm>

I'm delighted to see counter-Singularity analysis from a respected Singularity thinker. This further reassurance that the the flip-side is being considered deepens my beliefs in pro-Singularity arguments.

Joshua