--- Mitchell Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is a good idea but some of the numbers seem wrong. In the first
> scenario, the simulator is the computer connected to my brain (or the
> software running on that computer, if you prefer); why should a synapse
> count provide a good estimate of its complexity? And the complexity of
> scenario five is a bit hard to quantify, but if you really thought it was
> the same as that of the set of natural numbers, you might consider the
> appropriate complexity to be that of the Peano axioms of arithmetic.

For the first scenario, I assume the environment would be complex enough to
use all of the brain's processing power to learn.  Otherwise our simulation
could replace the brain with a less powerful computer.

My estimate of 10^13 bits is very crude, anyway.  Nobody has actually counted
synapses.  There are about 10^11 neurons with (some unknown number) of
synapses each, thousands, I guess.  Some neurons have 50,000 synapses, but I
can't find any source that gives the average number in the cortex.  Also the
memory per synapse might be very small.  It is about 1 bit per synapse in a
Hopfield net, but maybe it is 0.1 or 0.0001 bits in the brain due to
redundancy.  We really don't know.

The complexity of 5 is also hard to quantify.  It depends on your choice of
universal Turing machine.  I could claim it is 0.