On 3/28/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- John Ku <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I agree with Kurzweil on certain points. I think any intelligent life would
> have evolved with very similar evolutionary pressures and thus share broad
> similarities in their motivations (e.g. creativity, pursuing knowledge for
> its own sake, probably something like the emotions that ground morality
> (e.g.
> care, guilt, resentment, etc -- which by the way I think grounds moral
> truths once you add a general deliberative capacity, but I can go into those
> philosophical arguments/my dissertation later if people are interested),
> wanting to control the external environment and put it to use to pursue
> knowledge).

Such a narrow view.  Other intelligences must be like us because we can't
imagine anything else?  A post Singularity intelligence could be as advanced
over humans as humans are over bacteria.  How could a bacteria in your gut say
that humans don't exist?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I concur with Matt. I'd *like* to think I could imagine what a
civilization 1,000,000 years older than ours is like... but I know I
can't.

Here is a select sampling of ego centric views of mankind:
1. The Earth is the center of the universe, which revolves around us.
2. No wait, the Sun is the center of the universe.
3. There is a deity who cares about you individually and will even
talk to you if you "dial his number".
4. We are the only "living planet" among billions of galaxies.

1 - 2 are totally retired. 3 is on the way out. I believe 4 is just a
matter of time.

On the other hand, if we did turn out to be the only ones and we
couldn't travel to other stars *then* I would start to suspect a
simulation!

But it's all moot anyway. The pressing needs are AGI and medical immortality.

-Chuck