On 5/27/07, Stathis Papaioannou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Every society has sociopaths, and generally recognises them as such and
deals with them. The problem is that through most of history, "normal"
people have thought it was OK to treat slaves, women, Jews, homosexuals etc.
in ways considered terrible by people in different eras. For all I know, I
may be committing a barbaric crime in the mildly challenging tone of this
post, when looked at by the standards of future or alien cultures. And even
within a relatively homogeneous culture there are basic disagreements, such
as between those who think it's OK to eat animals and those who don't. I
don't dispute that it is worthwhile trying to arrive at a rational ethical
system given certain moral premises, but how do we agree on the premises?

The short answer is: By doing philosophy!

The longer, more accurate answer is that we already have something like
agreement on premises.

I think there's a temptation in ethics discussions to assume that the
premises we use to arrive at conclusions and adjudicate disputes are going
to have to be substantive moral principles. But then the question would just
be pushed back to how you justify that principle, which seems to require an
even more general principle. But then you have an even more abstract
principle that needs to be justified, and the problem only looks harder or
perhaps even impossible.

But consider how scientific disputes are settled or just ordinary empirical
beliefs. These beliefs are not usually justified by appeal to a more
fundamental theory. Rather a fundamental theory is something you reach at
the end of inquiry. What you start out with are general principles that
guide our reasoning like "If a view entails a contradiction, reject it." Or
"if a theory makes successful predictions confirmed by the data," increase
your credence in it. These are not substantive theories about the world, but
norms that pretty much any honest person would agree to. More complicated,
subtle versions of something like these and other principles are I think
going to be fundamental norms governing reasoning that are encoded in the
cognitive architecture of all people. These are not things that people need
to consciously agree to in order for them to guide their thinking; they can
often influence one's belief forming processes in relatively automatic,
subconscious ways as well as through more conscious, slow deliberation.

Similarly, I think there will be principles encoded into people's cognitive
architecture that governs how they deliberate about moral principles. I
think they will actually be pretty similar in structure to the norms
governing beliefs but with moral intuitions taking the place of data points.
Obviously a moral principle that entails a contradiction should be rejected.
In the case of beliefs, few theories actually ever entail a contradiction.
Generally, you can save nearly any theory so long as you are willing to
revise enough other beliefs about the world. But we are guided by norms to
also reject theories that require abandonment of many ordinary beliefs and
data points without good reason. I think similar points would hold for moral
principles. Norms for reasoning will guide us to reject moral views that can
be shown to conflict with many of our concrete moral intuitions, at least it
will do so unless we can tell a good debunking story for why we have those
intuitions (same with empirical beliefs). Just as scientists try to come up
with simple theories that explain many data points, in moral reasoning,
(good) philosophers try to come up with intuitive principles that capture
and explain a large set of moral intuitions. If a theory has enough
explanatory power, then we might be willing to entertain the possibility
that some of our initial data points that conflicted with it are mistaken
rather than the theory. Again, the same sort of thing can happen with
compelling moral principles overturning some of our initial moral
intuitions.

Philosophers call this methodology reflective equilibrium as you are going
back and forth between revising both intuitions and principles to fit each
other. In an issue like how to treat animals, I think careful and honest
consideration of the arguments will lead any nonsociopaths to reject much of
our current treatment as unjustifiable. I think the method of reflective
equilibrium can be seen in my first email on this topic. The principles and
intuitions I appeal to are things I think everyone would agree to. Things
like "like cases ought to be treated alike," that it is impermissible to
torture and kill 3 year olds for meat, that space aliens with humanlike
psychology would have similar moral rights, etc.

In both empirical (e.g. creationists) and moral issues, I think the problem
is not so much that we lack shared starting points for deliberation about
these issues but that people are either ignorant of the progress that has
been made or simply unwilling to engage in honest inquiry about many topics.
The fact that much disagreement persists because of thse sorts of reasons
shouldn't make us despair or doubt that we have good methods for getting at
the truth.

John Ku