Hey Tom,
You wrote:

On 6/26/07, Tom McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- Michael LaTorra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill Hibbard (author of _Super-Intelligent Machines_
> and researcher in the
> Machine Intelligence Project at the U. of Wisconsin)
> wrote (see
> http://www.ssec.wisc.edu:80/~billh/visfiles.html):
>
> "Currently, according to theory, every pair of
> people on earth can be
> connected by a chain of six people, with each pair
> in the chain acquainted
> (this was illustrated by the movie *Six Degrees of
> Separation*).

Please see http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/tom/?p=12
for why you should avoid mentioning movies- or fiction
of any kind- in a futurist context. Even if you
recognize that the movie's plot doesn't extend to the
future automatically, most people won't.

Please notice that I didn't write this, I quoted it. If you have a problem
with what was written, take it up with the author.

> super-intelligent machine that is everyone's
> intimate will create one degree
> of separation for all of humanity. This will enable
> it to introduce you to
> your optimal mate and provide many other wonderful
> services."

Why should there be any one "optimal" mate?
Interactions between humans are ridiculously complex
and there's no a priori reason to think that you can
just sandwich every possible interaction between you
and someone else into a single scalar.

OK, first, let's stipulate that there could be more than one mate that meets
the criteria for being optimal. Second, human beings do not, in fact, ever
engage -- or want to engage -- in "every possible interaction." Murder, for
instance. The actual range of desirable interactions is not that large, and
exists within bounds determined by evolutionary development and the personal
pattern of preferences arising over the span of an individual's life
experience. Third, even if the AI could only come up with a list of some
very likely candidates for being a good mating "match" rather than some
ultimate perfect mate, I think the most interesting aspect of this would be
who these people are in terms of geographic location. Are they in places so
close to you geographically (and perhaps socio-economically) that you might
have met them on your own? Or would some or most of them be literally a
world away from you, such that there is virtually zero probability that you
would ever have met without "artificial assistance"?

> OK, AI as the ultimate dating service sounds good.
> But what other wonderful
> services might AI provide?
>
> Please list your *Top AI Services to Humans* (and be
> as serious or playful
> as you like :)

Okay, to start with:

- Total control over the structure of our minds, with
an AI-provided user-friendly interface.

Would you retain a baseline record of your mind, just in case you discovered
that some of the structural changes you chose to make did not in fact yield
desirable results?

- The elimination of war, hunger, disease, old age,
heart disease and a whole bunch of other undesirable
stuff.

Who could argue with that?

- The ability to build anything that is physically
possible given quantity X of raw materials, again with
a user-friendly interface and pre-designed components.

The ultimate erector set. I like it.

Regards,
> Mike LaTorra

- Tom