Thanks for the replies. Excellent arguments, but they are much as I
expected. I'm not sure it's going to be so easy to chuck two billion years
of biological evolution without loosing something important. I suspect that
the human/cyber combination is going to ultimately leverage the best of both
worlds.

What makes humans smart is more than intelligence. This is the main problem
for AI and the primary fallacy of the Singularity, transhuman intelligence
concept. Computers may well achieve advanced intelligence and some form of
consciousness but they may never be as smart and creative as humans.

Human thought is patterned after biological evolution. The evolutionary
thought process can be divided into three elements. (I am purposefully not
using the narrower concept of "intelligence")

Variation

Selection

Ecology

Normally we think of variation as random, however that is not usually the
case. Sex blends the genetic code of two partners in a mostly predictable
way with a selective amount of random variation. Variation is important to
intelligence as well, but usually within a narrowed range of perceived
possibilities.

Selection happens when a specific variation floats to the top of
consciousness. It may or may not be appropriate. In human thought a concept
or gestalt is selected as the most relevant or useful, though this is
usually not a conscious selection. This happens within the current ecology,
including the present environment and the person's perceptions and memories
of the past. This ecology also includes the person's body with all its
needs, limitations of perceptions . and two billion years of biological
evolution.

I would submit that the highest manifestation of human thought and
creativity is art. For arguments sake lets use music. What is it that makes
specific pitches aligned relative to each other appealing while other
off-pitch notes are physically excruciating? The hell if I know, but it is
certainly something that is deeply ingrained in our primal, biological, and
genetic being. The appreciation of music is innate and for the most part
uniquely human. The language of music and music theory can be highly complex
and its understanding can make use of our high degree of conceptual
intelligence. However, good music is not always complex, far from it. There
is a strong emotional and creative component to music. Why are some chords
happy and some sad?  The hell if I know, but it is certainly more than just
cultural programming or a process of the intellect.

But here is the crux of my argument. Humans love the order and repeating
pattern of music; rhythm, melody, verse, chorus. Humans in general seek to
find and create order out of the chaos of the environment and perception. We
like order. That is what intelligence is all about, creating order out of
chaos. Intelligence is not only useful for daily survival and a way of
developing tools and technologies; it is an integral part of creativity and
art. However, there is another important aspect to advanced thought,
creativity, cognitive capacity and its ultimate human expression, art.

The first and most important aspect of evolution is variation. It's out of
the chaos of random variation that evolution, intelligence and high level
human thought and creativity arises. We love the predictability and order of
rhythm and melody, but we also love the strategically placed minor note, the
funky syncopated beat, the gravel in the blues singer's voice, and the
dissonance of a modern jazz sax. It's controlled chaos that gives music and
art its flavor. We love order, but we love the flavor and danger of disorder
just as much. Humans may seek the predictable safety of an ordered life, but
we crave the danger and challenge of the unpredictable, the funky, the
forbidden, and the bazaar. You may look at advanced AI, transhuman
intelligence as god like, as a guiding intelligence far beyond humanity.  I
just keep wondering how boring it will be. Will it be like white people
without rhythm on nerd steroids, or Dick Chaney on crank?

Will transhuman intelligence have a sense of humor. Will its cry. Will it
have soul. That is the real challenge of AI. If you think human emotion can
be replaced with shots of endorphins I know a crack dealer who would love to
meet you. We rightfully fear the dangers of a run-amok transhuman
intelligence. Computers are a tool and like any tool must be controlled and
properly applied to achieve the goals of the person using them. Creativity
is not only dependant on intellect.  And, intelligence does not mirror the
totality of a person's cognitive capacity. AI may become smart enough to
achieve broadly defined goals, but ultimately it is the human who must set
those goals. Until someone comes up with algorithms for creativity, empathy,
humor, compassion and soul, I suspect humans should still be running the
show.

Don Detrich - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  _____