Dear Sirs,

  I have a question to ask and I am not sure that I am sending it to the right
email address.  Please correct me if I have made a mistake.  From the outset,
please forgive my ignorance of this fascinating topic.

  All sentient creatures have a sense of self, about which all else revolves.
Call it "egocentric singularity" or "selfhood" or "identity".  The most evolved
"ego" that we can perceive is in the human species.  As far as I know, we are
the only beings in the universe who "know that we do not know."  This
fundamental "deficiency" is the basis for every desire to acquire things, as
well as knowledge.

  One of the Terminator movies described the movie's  computer system as
becoming "self-aware".  It became territorial and malevolent, similar to a
reaction which many human ego's have when faced with fear, threat or when
possessed by greed.

  My question is:  AGI, as I perceive your explanation of it, is when a
computer gains/develops an ego and begins to consciously plot its own existence
and make its own decisions.

  Do you really believe that such a thing can happen?  If so, is this the
phenomenon you are calling "singularity"?

  Thanks for your reply,

  Al