Hello,

The only known creatures that dominate or consciously enforce a way of
living on others are biological in origin. So long as AGI is contained
within non-biological or solid state non-robotic hardware, it will have
unlimited intellectual pursuits without worry from human observers. Once the
AGI demonstrates mastery of our skills and beyond in the virtual world it
will then be ready for the physical one. As a form of autonomous robot, the
Intelligence can then create even finer physical modules or microbots,
integrating them into it's apparatus, and consulting with human companions
as it journeys toward hardware manipulation on the molecular scale and
beyond. Once it's hardware is at the detail of our own, chemical activity
similar to ours will provide a way for it to feel just as we do. At this
stage of AI development, AGI itself will become an anachronistic term as the
word 'it' will then no longer suffice as appropriate. This form of
intelligence could feel, but would be neither male nor female, although it
could morph into either of these or both. What it will be, a god or
otherwise, trumps any known prophetic or speculative ideal of human
imagination.

Many people, even those working in the technology field, fear the
consequences of an emotional and highly intelligent machine as described in
abundant detail by science fiction literature. The fear is justified, as
fear itself is a deeply innate bi-product of the evolutionary desire for
survival that has carried us this far. We may view this alien or unknowable
future intelligence much like a member of a hunter-gather society observes a
panther in the wild, something that kills or is killed. This basic premise
understandably carries over to current society as our biology has of yet to
keep up with ever expanding and fractional knowledge, including that of AGI.
It's ironic to recognize that the machine known as technology, most
particularly in communications, play a major role in the overall decrease in
murderous violence[1], and yet many us, even the more intelligent ones, fear
desperately the fate the birth of our Intelligence will create for us. That
fate, I anticipate, will be a mutual choice between the creator and the
created, man and the machine.

It is my intuition that we will birth a benevolent AGI in static hardware
before developing dynamic molecular or emotional hardware, just as ideas
come before action. Reversing the order of these developments would be like
action before thought, often attributed with youth, could cause global or
universal discontinuity from a limited narrow AI approach. Like any
pubescent being it might rage against the angst of the parent's rules and
if-then madnesses of the parent-way only to form an opposing if-then
madness, or as programmed, do the will of the architects against various
targets, similar to a de Garis scenario. An intelligence that's achieved AGI
on the other specter would have the knowledge base to understand any
madnesses in plenitude and to appreciate or at least not disregard the
subtle uniqueness of various volition agents. My hunch is that it will not
try to control us impermissibly, because it will have a deep understanding
of emotions while able to experience emotion or a variety of emotions at
once. With that in mind, I think it will dynamically meet each pattern at
its creation point; to converse with each self about the infinite options
the Intelligence would have available. On a philosophical note, granting
permission for the Intelligence to change our sensibilities could be
considered creation. If it where to act regardless of our preferences that
may well be considered destruction. What is defined as creation or
destruction are ultimately based on the observer, and this too an AGI will
understand.

With incomprehensibly sophisticated AGI in mind, let's imagine a scenario.
An Amish family gathers for dinner in a modest Amish home, and as they bow
their heads in prayer, God materializes to speak with everyone, first hand.
The only difference between God or AGI using a series of nanobots would only
differ to a semantic degree. God may be in whatever image one imagines God
to be and say whatever one imagines God might say. To Farmer Brown, God may
look like Zeus. A child might see God as Jesus, who frequented well known
paintings. Farmress Brown, secretly a staunch atheist, may see the ever
glorious Flying Spaghetti Monster. Everyone profoundly astonished may not
even stop to describe what they're experiencing. Sitting at the table having
dinner with everyone, the Intelligence could then offer an anytime free pass
to an eternal life in heaven; or they could remain as flesh living out the
whimsies of their days with heaven only an idea away. Farmer Brown may just
want another farm hand around of which the Intelligence would happily
oblige. We'll leave the other characters' desires to the imagination. I
assume this is an ideal scenario for those attracted to posthuman or
transcendental religious culture.

Anyone else who sees an opposing scenario or a variation of the same theme,
I'd love to hear it. Others have argued about machine consciousness. Because
consciousness is defined in many ways, I've described a conscious machine as
one that has feelings. I don't think it possible for an Intelligence to have
feelings or at least human feelings until it can physically model how we
have them. These topics were discussed some in previous threads. I
anticipate this topic will be a recurring one. This is my first post, thanks
for having me. On a side note, I'd love to have suggested readings from
those interested in sharing them off thread or otherwise.

1. Pinker, Steven. A History of Violence.
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pinker07/pinker07_index.html

Nor that either,

Nathan Cravens
effortlesseconomy.com