You have to be careful with the phrase 'Manhattan-style project'.   That was a
military project with military aims, and a 'benevolent' dictator mgmt
structure.  No input for researchers concerning things like applicability of
the project output, delivery systems, timeframes, social issues, nothing.
Compartmentalization, not open overview, would be the general tenor.
Similarly, with a consortium, you have the necessary economic incentive
struggles and tensions.   Only real chance would be the lone wolf, in my
opinion, more like what you might call the Tesla-model.

Not that I really think AGI is something possible or desirable.

~Robert S.
-------------- Original message from "Eric B. Ramsay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
--------------

It took Microsoft over 1000 engineers, $6 Billion and several years to make
Vista.  Will building an AGI be any less formidable? If the AGI effort is
comparable, how can the relatively small efforts of Ben (comparatively
speaking) and others possibly succeed? If the effort to build an AGI is not
comparable, why not? Perhaps a consortium (non-governmental) should be created
specifically for the building of an AGI. Ben talks about a Manhattan style
project. A consortium could pool all resources currently available (people and
hardware), actively seek private funds on a  continuing basis and give
coherence to the effort.

Eric B. Ramsay

singularity | Archives  | Modify Your Subscription