Hi Paul,
     Do you mean to say that both first 2xx as well as its retransmission will
have same r-r as seen by UAC? I am talking about response and the
retransmission of the same response but not two different responses to the same
UAC. One more thing, the issue is not related to double record-route. Let me be
more specific in my question:
 Is it possible for  a response (say 200 OK) and its retransmission to have
different r-r when they reach UAC? Different r-r means if ACK is to be sent for
retransmitted response it will traverse entirely different path (i.e, it will
have different route set) as compared to the ACK to first 200 OK.

Thanks,
Praveen

Paul Kyzivat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I agree with Kasturi regarding the
meaning of that text. It allows a
proxy that record-routes to provide a different value to the UAS and
UAC. However that mechanism is no longer in favor. It is considered
preferable for the proxy to "double record route" when it proxies the
request and then do nothing to the responses.

The double r-r means inserting two entries for itself - one appropriate
for the UAC and the other appropriate for the UAS.

The language you quote does not give permission to alter the r-r with
different responses to the same request. The value as seen by the UAC
must not change from one response to another.