On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 10:34 +0000, Attila Sipos wrote:
> it is ok because this is what happens in forking scenarios.
>
> >>It seems that some UAC's in this case end up hearing a double
> >>ring (one real one from the media stream and one locally generated.
> >>Is the UAS doing something wrong or UAC?
>
> The UAC is wrong here.
> It should either be listening to the remotely generated ring
> or it should be generating the ring tone.  BUT NOT BOTH.

> It is preferable that the UAC listens to the media associated with the
> 183
> since that media is likely to be more "interesting" than the locally
> played ringback.

I'm not sure that is true - since 183 does not specify any particular
semantics, the UAC has no way to know which tone to play, but 180 does
specify, so it should convey that information by playing a ring.

This does lead to odd progress tones sometimes - I've had scenarios
where I get alternating busy tones (from a gateway that used 183 to play
the PSTN audio rather than interpreting it and returning a 486) and a
ring (from a 180 on another fork).

--
Scott Lawrence  tel:+1.781.229.0533;ext=162 or sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  sipXecs project coordinator - SIPfoundry http://www.sipfoundry.org/sipXecs