If you know the duration of one ring, you can very well know number of
rings. If I assume the "ringing" you are referring to PSTN type
ringing, then this ring duration differs from country to country. In
most of the cases 6 sec. is taken.
Proxy can start a timer once it receives 180 for uration 6* (No. of
rings configured). If this timer expires, it should send CANCEL to the
termination end-point and should forward the INVITE request to
voicemail/mobile.