From: "Amit P. Ahuja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   One of the SIP hardphones that I use sends out a REGISTER message with the
   Contact header that looks like:

   Contact: sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:5060;methods="INVITE, ACK, BYE, CANCEL,
   OPTIONS, INFO, MESSAGE, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, PRACK, UPDATE, REFER"

   I could not find whether the "methods=" param in the Contact is acceptable
   as per RFC3261. I thought Allow: is the only way of specifying supported
   methods.
   Would someone know if it is valid and which RFC specifies so?

The "methods" field parameter is defined in RFC 3840.  If you look at
the BNF in section 9, you see that "methods" is allowed, but the
spaces in the value are not.

On page 12 is the statement:

   Specifically, the Allow header field and "sip.methods" feature tag
   indicate the same information.

Searching for "methods" in RFC 3840 turns up an oddity:  Section 5
says:

   When using the "sip.methods" feature tag, a UA MUST NOT include
   values that correspond to methods not standardized in IETF standards
   track RFCs.

but two paragraphs later it says:

   Furthermore, when a UA registers values for a particular feature
   tag, it MUST list all values that it supports.  For example, when
   including the "sip.methods" feature tag, a UA MUST list all methods
   it supports.

What should a UA do when it supports a non-standard method?

Dale