The choice of which response to generate to reject a call is a conscious
decision on the part of the implementer depending on how he wants the
rejection to be perceived by the caller.

A 486 is used when the *goal* is for the caller to be informed that the
callee is busy.

A 480 can be used so that the caller will think the callee isn't there.

And a 603 is used to signal an explicit rejection. (It also, arguably,
terminates any other forks, which may be a desirable feature for the
callee.)

Its not hard to imagine a phone with buttons for all three of these.

        Paul