El Lunes, 17 de Marzo de 2008, Steve Langstaff escribió:
> I was reading this from RFC 3263:
>
>    Failure also occurs if the transaction layer times out without ever
>    having received any response, provisional or final (i.e., timer B or
>    timer F in RFC 3261 [1] fires).  If a failure occurs, the client
>    SHOULD create a new request, which is identical to the previous, but
>    has a different value of the Via branch ID than the previous (and
>    therefore constitutes a new SIP transaction).  That request is sent
>    to the next element in the list as specified by RFC 2782.
>
> Which says, to me, that transaction layer timeouts fire off a new
> request and...
>
> This from RFC 3261:
>
> 8.1.3.1 Transaction Layer Errors
>
>    In some cases, the response returned by the transaction layer will
>    not be a SIP message, but rather a transaction layer error.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I understand that this "response returned by the
transaction layer" means the final response after trying all the IP's get via
DNS.

>    When a
>    timeout error is received from the transaction layer, it MUST be
>    treated as if a 408 (Request Timeout) status code has been received.

So, if an IP got via RFC3263 returned a SIP 408  (not socket/ICMP error) the
that is the definitive reply and for the client is means "can't connect with
destination".

And if no one of all the IP's (RFC3263) returned a real SIP reply, then the
final response if a timeout, and the client behaviour should be the same as
if a final 408 reply was received.

> Which says, to me, that a 408 response and a transaction layer timeout
> must be treated the same.
>
> Maybe I made 2+2=5?

In fact, I'm not sure at all of what I'm talking about XD

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo