Kurt,

However this may cause problems with certain gateways or carriers that
use the # character in the tech prefix, your code should be as close to
standards as possible and the standard-compliant way is to perform # <->
%23 en-/decoding on both incoming and outgoing messages. In my practice
Quintum gateways understand %23 encoding just OK, but Cisco gateways do
not. You may implement some sort of workaround, for example keep the
list of hosts that have this problem with understanding of "%23" in
place of "#" and want to see hash character unquoted.

--
Sincerely,
Andrew Pogrebennyk