>>IMHO a proxy CANNOT add a Require option tag, can it?

it can but it is bit of a hack.  RFC4028 itself does not recommend it.  However
it allows it to try to force a session timer even if the request originator
does not support it.

  with the value 'timer', the proxy MAY insert a Require header field
   with the value 'timer' into the request.  However, this is NOT
   RECOMMENDED.  This allows the proxy to insist on a session timer for
   the session.  This header field is not needed if a Supported header
   field was in the request; in this case, the proxy would already be
   sure the session timer can be used for the session.

If "unsupported: timer" is returned, the UA, as you say, won't understand it.
But it's of no consequence, the UA can't do anything anyway.  The Unsupported
response is for a user to try to understand why the request failed - if it
failed due to "unsupported: timer", then the user can conclude that an upstream
proxy inserted the "timer" requirement (but RFC4028 knowledge is required - not
ideal I suppose).

Regards,
Attila