Yes, you are right - it does say that. Indeed the case is illegal.

My point is tht I don't understand why one would keep state of *calls*
independently of *dialogs* when there is no useful correlation between
different dialogs that share the same callid?

BUT, for whatever reason, I guess you are entitled to do so.
If this is then detected as an error, you have to figure out what error
code to return. I don't see anything suitable other than 400 or 500. And
if you think it is the message that is at fault then I guess you would
prefer 400.

This just points out the interop problems that arise because people play
fast and loose with these globally unique ids. Some say "I can use the
same callid because the tags will make it unique" and others say "I can
use the same tag because the callid will make it unique".