2009/1/28 Victor Pascual Ávila <victor.pascual.av...@gmail.com>:

>> - The web server generates an INVITE which arrives to Alice's phone and so...
>
> The B2BUA generates the initial invite (no SDP) towards Alice; Alice
> sends a 200 OK (SDP1)
> The B2BUA generates an invite (SDP1) towards Bob; Bob sends a 200 OK
> (SDP2); B2BUA sends ACK towards Bob and ACK(SDP2) towards Alice.

Yes, and I don't like it at all :)

>> This means that this call will appear in the phone call list as a
>> *received* call, when the *real* concept is that it's an outgoing call
>> (from Alice's point of view).
>
> How does your "call list" work? In some cases, when the B2BUA sets the
> from header field to Alice, it appears as an outgoing call.

I'm sure that you cannot rely on that premise. I don't expect that
most phones will use the "From" header to distinguish incoming from
outgoing calls, do you?

>> So I prefer the simple initial-request REFER approach already defined
>> in RFC 3515 (REFER method) but I do know that it's not implemented in
>> most of the phones. Perhaps I'm wrong? is it implemented somewhere? If
>> not... why? It seems a really ellegant and clean solution.
>
> We chose not using the REFER basically 'cause, at that moment, REFER
> was not implemented in many UAs. However, the 72% of the UAs tested
> during the last SIPit implemented the REFER method.

IMHO if a UA doesn't support REFER method you can drop it. If we want
SIP cool features to progress we cannot depend on poor
implementations.

Thanks.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo