Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For a certain application where uplink is low bandwidth and downlink is
> high bandwidth I want to use the best available codec - ie. up G729,
> down G.711.
>
> How can I setup such an asymmetric session?
>
> eg.
>         high down
> Alice ------------ Bob
>         up low
>
> I think if Alice announces G711 and G729, and Bob answers with G.729,
> Alice must send with G729 and Bob can send with G711 too. Is this correct?

As far as I know it's correct. In fact, Bob can even mix both 711 and
729 frames within a stream as he sees fit.

> Nevertheless, as this requires that Alice's SIP client support this. Is
> there also a method to explicitly define the asymmetric behavior?

In one of product I worked on we relied on this functionality to inject
pre-encoded announcements into the RTP stream using the RTPproxy. All
popular SIP clients and carrier equipment we've tested to date handled
this correctly.

Regards,
--
Maksym Sobolyev