From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:pkyzi...@cisco.com]
Sent: 01 April 2009 17:06
To: Attila Sipos
Cc: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] What's the harm in always adding Path at
the proxy? (RFC3327 question)

If you do as you propose there are good cases and bad cases.

Good cases:

1) the proxy adds Path, but *doesn't* add Requires:path. The registrar
*honors* the Path request, echoing it in the response. And uses it for
future requests.

2) the proxy adds Path, but *does* add Requires:path. The registrar
supports it, *honors* the Path request, echoing it in the response. And
uses it for future requests.

Bad cases:

3) the proxy adds Path, but *doesn't* add Requires:path. The registrar
rejects the request, as recommended by RFC 3327.

4) the proxy adds Path, but *does* add Requires:path. The registrar
doesn't support the path option, and so rejects the request with 421.

Whether the bad cases are really bad depends on how essential the proxy
is. If it believes it is so essential that its ok to fail the
registration if it can't get on the Path, then it might as well do so.

In this case,

Attila Sipos wrote:

> A Path header can be added by a proxy if a UA indicates support for
> "path".
>
> But what harm is there in adding it if "path" isn't supported by the
UA?